What do we use and why do we use it
From cancer-causing formaldehydes to asthma-inducing, organ-damaging phthalates, there's plenty to fear in the building materials used today, and that's before we get to the environmental repercussions. These are real things that can definitely have an impact on your life. Pay attention and always make sure that wherever you buy from the resources are sustainably harvested.
Marmoleum @ $3.60+ SF
Natural linoleum is bio-based, highly durable, non-toxic, anti-microbial and easy to maintain. Over 100 colors and patterns.
Eco-friendly and sustainable — 98% bio-based; 78% recycled content; biodegradable; SMART third-party certified
Made with all-natural ingredients — linseed oil, limestone, tree rosins, natural pigments, wood flour and jute
Allergy and Asthma Friendly Certified — naturally anti-microbial, anti-bacterial and anti-static
Non-toxic — no added urea formaldehyde; safe for you and your family
Sound deadening — IIC57 impact sound tested ASTM E 492
Warm, quiet and comfortable — excellent thermal and acoustical insulation
BAMBOO @ $5.50+ sf
Completely non-toxic, formaldehyde free, zero VOC and third-party certified to be safe, durable and eco-friendly.
Extremely hard with durable — MOSO6 premium 6-year mature bamboo; Endura AR UV-cured Aluminum Oxide finish
Life-time warranty — warranted against residential wear - through and delamination; 15-year commercial, the longest and best in the industry
Safe, non-toxic — no added urea formaldehyde (.0135ppm), ultra-low VOC finish; no hazardous chemical off-gasing; learn how to test a non-toxic product for tolerance
Eco-friendly — sustainably-harvested, plantation-grown, rapidly-renewable
CORK @ $3.99+ SF
Cork has excellent thermal and acoustical qualities. It's beautiful, lightweight, and warm to the touch.
Quiet, warm and beautiful — a perfect sound and thermal insulator; visually seamless appearance
Anti-static, hypoallergenic — reduces risk of electric shock; prevents dust and dirt accumulation
Non-toxic — made from all-natural materials; CARB compliant, GreenGuard certified
Impermeable — suberin, the waxy constituent of cork, repels liquids and gas alike; resists moisture and mold growth
Fire-retardant — a natural fire-inhibitor; will not spread flame
Eco-friendly — made from renewable resources; 100% upcycled
BLACK LOCUST @ $9.60+ sf
The tree we built America on. Great for use anywhere you would consider the endangered species of Teak or Ipe such as outdoor and wet locations.
- Fast growth - grown to harvest in 20 - 40 years in what is normally a short life tree of about 80 years
- Rot and insect resistant - One of only four trees native to the U.S. that carries these characteristics
- Detail - Incredibly hard with a well grained, beautiful, and smooth finish.
Eco-Friendly - Made from 100% recycled rubber and a specially engineered polymer binder.
Superior Comfort - Recycled Rubber offers cushioned comfort that is unmatched by any other surfacing material.
American-Made - Made in the United States of America.
Durable - Custom-formulated, high strength polyurethane binders, similar to those used in synthetic running tracks, are used in the construction.
An award winning product that sums up true sustainability. Uses no glue, adhesives, or even water in their manufacturing process of recycled cartons for sheathing and finish applications.
- Eco-friendly - 100% recycled content from things like milk cartons
- Durable - abuse and moisture resistant, great for bathrooms and exterior sheathing applications
- Breathe easy - no VOCS, Class C flame spread rating, and highest mold resistance measured by ASTM
- American-Made - Made in the United States of America.
One thing you can certainly count on with insulation is a lot of fluff around the fluffy stuff. The common confusion we see people making is the idea that if its highly insulated it's good for the environment, right? Not exactly, unfortunately many of the insulation techniques and materials used today parallel to the health foods section in your grocer, just because its all natural doesn't mean its actually all natural. Below are the materials we prefer.
Batt | Roxul | R4.2 per inch
Made from sustainable and naturally abundant materials, ROXUL stone wool sound absorbent, fire resistant insulation is made with a minimum of 40% recycled material.
- Fire resistant - up to 2000+ degrees before burning or melting
- Sound resistant - reduces air flow and noise transmission by trapping and dissipating sound waves
- Easy install - No where near the irritant as traditional fiberglass and holds together on its own making it easy to cut and push into a self-supporting location
- Breathe easy - No CFCs, HCFCs or blowing agents used making it a non off-gassing solution
RIGID FOAM | RMAX | R6.0+ PER INCH
A rigid, foam plastic, thermal insulation board composed of environmentally sound, closed cell, polyisocyanurate foam bonded to glass fiber reinforced aluminum foil facers on both sides.
- Easy install - Dimensional stability and compressive strength
- Thinner walls - Highest R-Value per inch of thickness in rigid foam insulation
- Breath Easy - CFC, HCFC, HFC free blowing agent, virtually no ozone depletion or global warming potential and mold resistant